Ready for a crunchy, protein packed salad? Sprouted Green Gram Kosambari is an Indian salad that requires no dressing yet tastes divine! How is that possible? Itâ€™s the magic of sprouted green grams. Green gram is a protein packed super food and allowing it to sprout with overnight soaking makes it edible right away.Â Itâ€™s a great hunger time snack that keeps you away from unhealthy options.
Kosambari is a common dish in Karnataka and this recipe is a subtle variation Â from earlier yellow lentil kosambari.Â I just let the green gram soak overnight and tied it with cotton cloth for a day. The cotton cloth keeps them moist and speeds up sprouting process. It probably sounds like a lot of planning, but it’s really not and the taste and health benefits far outweigh the effort that it takes. So if you want to try this recipe, plan at least a day ahead.
Other ingredients that make it delicious are the grated carrots, coconut and ginger. You could also add a few more colorful variety like pomegranate seedsÂ or grapes. I like to call it “Indian” salad but I also want to stay true to its original name – Kosambari.
Here is the recipeâ€¦
Sprouted Green Gram KosambariÂ
- 3 cups sprouted green gram
- 2 carrots grated
- 1 green chilies
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 3 tbsp grated coconut
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp black gram
- 1 strand curry leaves
- Pinch of Asafetida
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Wash all the ingredients. Grate finely carrot.
- In a big bowl and mix the sprouted green gram with grated carrots, chopped cilantro, chopped green chilies, minced ginger, grated coconut and salt. Mix well.
- Place a pan over medium heat with tea spoon of coconut oil, then add mustard seeds and black gram.
- When the seeds start to sputter, add curry leaves, and Asfoetida . Switch off the heat.
- Now add this seasoning to green gram mix .
- Finally squeeze little lemon juice on top of it and mix well.
Sprouted green gram kosambari is ready to serve! If you like it as much as I do, please share your thoughts below Â 🙂 Happy cooking !