Â One pan indian quinoa recipe with tomato sauce and chickpeas!
Â Quinoa is not a stranger in my kitchen. WithÂ allÂ the healthÂ benefitsÂ it offers,Â I have hadÂ severalÂ trials of quinoa recipe combinations andÂ today’sÂ recipe is one such creation. That is One pan Indian Quinoa Recipe. If you have tried my Spicy Spinach Quinoa or Quinoa Upma recipe in the past, you will agree with me that it is not just another ingredient. Quinoa is a special gluten-free grain with the rare and unusual combination of protein and carbohydrates in the right proportion.Â Â Â
The goodness from quinoa is well documented in many sites, but what’s missing is the exciting ways to enjoy them. NotÂ having many options to cook them in Indian kitchens is the reason I got started with this wonder-grain.Â I tried coming up with a recipe that goes well with rice or as aÂ standalone entrÃ©e.Â So, the list of ingredients also features ChickpeasÂ and theÂ supporting spices that give the authentic IndianÂ touch to it.Â Check out my video for step by step instructions.
What’s not obvious from my video is that you have to ground some of the spices like cardamom, cinnamon and cloves separately before you add them.Â This will ensure an even distribution of flavors. I also prepared a little serving of tomato sauce that packs in the flavor from Onions, Pepper and Oregano instead of adding each ingredient separately. These steps are subtle ways you can ensure that the flavors are evenly absorbed by Quinoa as it continue to simmer and boil. Here are the details…
One Pan Indian Quinoa RecipeÂ
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1/4 cup or 1 carrot
- 1 cup Tomato sauce see notes
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 can Chickpeas
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp Ground cinnamon cloves, and cardamom. ( see notes)
- Salt to taste
- 2 and 1/2 cup water
- 3 tsp Olive oil
- Place a hot pan and drizzle a couple of teaspoons of olive oil. Saute the bay leaf and cumin seeds.
- As the cumin seeds fry, add ground cinnamon, cloves, and cardamom and saute them evenly.
- Add chopped onions and sautÃ© until they turn transparent and then add chopped bell pepper and chopped carrots and continue to stir well.
- Now, add turmeric powder, chili powder and salt. Stir well and cover the lid for 40 seconds to a minute.
- Add Quinoa and tomato sauce and stir well. See my notes below for tomato sauce details.
- Add _ cups water and cover the lid and let it simmer.
- After a couple of minutes, add cooked Chickpeas and let it simmer for another couple of minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro.
Thatâ€™s it! One cup Indian Quinoa withÂ ChickpeasÂ isÂ readyÂ to be served.Â Â