Ready for a crunchy, protein packed salad? Sprouted Green Gram Kosambari is an Indian salad that requires no dressing yet tastes divine! How is that possible? It’s the magic of sprouted green grams. Green gram is a protein packed super food and allowing it to sprout with overnight soaking makes it edible right away. It’s a great hunger time snack that keeps you away from unhealthy options.
Lentils are relatively quick and easy to prepare. They are high in nutritional value and are available throughout the year. Kosambari is yet another Udupi specialty. This dish is usually served as a part of a bigger meal or served as a snack. I prepared this for a couple of Superbowl parties and it turned out to be a party favorite. 🙂
Serves 4 to 6
2 cups of soaked split yellow lentils (Moog Dal)
1 grated carrot
1 green chili
2 tsp of grated ginger
1/2 cup pomegranate
1/2 cup of coriander leaves
salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Urad Dal
- 1 to 2 long red chili
- 1 tsp of asafoetida
- Soak yellow lentils for 3 to 4 hours.
- Drain the water completely, place it in clean cotton towel so it will absorb the remaining water.
- Mix the lentils with all the remaining ingredients. Add salt.
- Be sure to add seasoning just before you serve. For seasoning, heat the oil in a medium size pan and add the ingredients mentioned above. When they start to sputter, take them off the heat and mix with lentils.
- This dish is best served fresh when you smell the aroma from the seasoning.