Palak Tofu Recipe – Spinach Tofu Curry!
Palak Paneer is one among the most liked dishes in India. However, like the name suggests, it is not a vegan dish. “Paneer” is a kind of non-aged cheese prepared from milk. Apart from the milk, the gravy also has cream. I have received several requests for a vegan version of this dish as well as its counterpart, Matar(Tofu) Paneer. Today, I am sharing the recipe for a Vegan Palak (Paneer) Tofu.
Tofu does not necessarily taste like Paneer, but the texture comes very close and indeed lot healthier given the fact that there is no cholesterol in Tofu. Moreover, the gravy is still the same. So, there is a ton of satisfaction in the fact that it is a vegan dish with almost no compromise in taste. I am happy to say that this Palak Tofu passed the taste test by some very demanding critics…my kids 🙂
The procedure is fairly simple and does not require any overnight prep work. Check my step by step video for more details. Be sure to blanch the spinach before you blend them. It gives me great satisfaction when I am able to help my readers with their request for vegan alternatives such as this one. If you have been looking for a vegan version of a common recipe, feel free to reach out to me here. And don’t forget to leave a comment here or on my facebook page🙂
You can also subscribe to my newsletter and you will get my recipes sent to your inbox. I have also put together some simple vegan dessert recipes and dessert essentials in the form of a short e-book. Just sign up for my newsletter if you have not done so already and you will get a copy. Here are the recipe details….
The procedure is fairly simple and does not require any overnight prep work. Check my step by step video for more details. Be sure to blanch the spinach before you blend them.
- 2 bunch of Spinach with stems (About 4 cups)
- 14 oz Firm Tofu, cut into little cubes
- ¼ cup full fat coconut milk
- 3 Green Chillies
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- ¾ chopped tomatoes
- 2 cloves
- 4 green cardamom
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 1 tbsp coriander & cumin powder
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tbsp minced ginger and garlic
- Blanch the Spinach leaves with stem.
- Blend them with Green Chillies into a fine paste.
- Place a pan over medium heat and drizzle 2 tbsp of vegetable oil.
- Saute cumin seeds, followed by minced garlic and garlic for about 30 seconds.
- Add onions and sauté until they appear translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes and sauté for about 30 seconds.
- Add all the spices (see list of ingredients) and cook for 7-8 minutes.
- Add blended paste and water. Mix well.
- Add coconut milk, tofu and stir gently without crumbling the Tofu.
- Let it simmer for another 5-8 minutes.
I powdered cloves, cardamom and cinnamon. You can use it as a whole. But powdered spices gives more aroma in dishes.
Palak tofu is ready to serve with plain roti or steamed rice. Happy Cooking!
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $5.36Was: $5.45