Dairy Free Vermicelli Kheer Is Simple And Delicious Dessert!
We kick start this week with yet another sweet and creamy dessert that will leave you craving for more. What makes this special is that it is dairy free. Vermicelli Kheer is a traditional dessert in every Indian household. My hope is that this recipe is an eye-opener for all the readers that think that Indian desserts cannot be prepared in a vegan way.
There are several healthy replacements for milk and as long as you have ready access to one of them, you can make a vegan vermicelli kheer garnished with fried golden cashews and saffron flakes.
Do not let the name deceive you. Vermicelli is also known as Semiya or Seviya in the South. But they are just the same. Vermicelli kheer is basically prepared with vermicelli strands, milk, and sugar with a little prep work required for the vermicelli. They are usually roasted in butter before simmering them in milk. My vegan version replaces the regular butter with the vegan butter and replaces milk with soy milk. Apart from that the rest of the procedure is pretty much same as the regular kheer. A sweet and creamy dessert ready in less than 30 minutes! Vermicelli Kheer can be enjoyed warm or cold. I like it served cold, especially in the summer. Try it tonight or on a special occasion!
Check out my video for step by directions! If you like it, please leave a comment here or on my Facebook page. If you prefer getting my recipes directly to your inbox, just hit the subscribe button at the right….
- 100-gram Roasted fine vermicelli
- ¾ cup organic sugar
- 1 quart or 4 cups Soy Milk / Almond milk
- 1 cup coconut full fat coconut milk or cream
- 2 tbsp roasted cashews
- 1 tbsp roasted pistachios
- 1 tbsp raisins
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
- Boil the milk in medium bowl over medium heat.
- As it starts to boil, add roasted vermicelli.
- Let it simmer for 10-15 minutes and add sugar. Once the mixture boils, turn down the heat.
- Add coconut milk, dry roasted nuts and raisins.
- Finally, add cardamom powder and stir well.
- Cover the lid for 10 minutes.
I used roasted vermicelli. Dry roast the nuts and raisins before use.
Serve warm or cold. Enjoy your Dairy Free Vermicelli Kheer!
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $14.34Was: $19.57
Price: Out of stock