How to make Matar Tofu Recipe Restaurant Style – Peas tofu Gravy !
My family loves any recipe with sweet peas in it. As it is starting to get warmer everyday, my choices for vegetables are becoming better than ever and I chose sweet peas a.k.a “Matar” in India as my spotlight for this dish. In Indian restaurants you can find this recipe as “Matar Paneer” that translates as Peas and Cheese. Typically it is a dish with a gravy that is rich in cream and rich in spices. But I am not going to sign it off as a dairy recipe just yet. Not without trying. And here we are with a Vegan Matar Tofu Recipe or Peas Tofu Gravy that tastes just as good as in restaurants but lot more healthier!!
The challenge is to find the right substitute for cheese and cream to match the original taste. Everything else is quite simple. I used Tofu and cashews to get the creamy consistency. Check out my short video and you will see how easy it is. Share my video and this page with your friends and let them how easy it is to go vegan and still not give up what you crave. You can also visit my face book page and leave me comments.
Try my other gravy recipes too 🙂
- Tofu 14 oz or 1 1/2 cup cubed Tofu
- 1 cup peas or frozen peas (see notes)
- 2 cloves
- 1/4 tsp crushed cardamom or use cardamom powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 large tomatoes or 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup soaked cashews or use cashew paste
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp sugar ( optional)
- 1/4 tsp dry fenugreek leaves
- 1/2 cup Cilantro for garnish
- Blend chopped tomatoes, onions and soaked cashews (cashews soaked for 30 minutes in hot water) to a smooth paste.
- Sauté the tofu for 5 minutes in olive oil.
- In same pan, saute cloves, crushed cardamom, bay leaf, cinnamon stick in a teaspoon of oil for about a minute.
- Add crushed garlic and grated ginger and continue to sauté for 1 more minute.
- Now, add the blended paste and mix well. Place a lid on the pan and let it cook for 5-8 minutes until the raw smell from onions go away.
- Add chili powder, garam Masala, coriander powder. Stir well. Cover the lid for continue to cook for at least 2 minutes.
- Add cooked peas or frozen peas and mix well.
- Add the sauteed tofu and stir gently. Place a cover on the pan and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- As it starts to boil, remove the lid and add a little sugar, kasuri methi or dried fenugreek leaves. Garnish with cilantro.
If you are using dry peas, be sure to cook it in a pressure cooker or stove top before you start to prepare this recipe.
Matar Tofu is ready to serve with rice or Indian flat bread.