Recipe for bell pepper masala pasta or capsicum masala pasta !
Until recently my only experience with Pasta was either homemade tomato sauce or store bought pesto, so I had some serious misconceptions about it. Tomato sauce tasted pretty much the same regardless of how many other vegetables you add to it, because the tomatoes tend to blanket all other flavors. Pesto sauce, although one of my favorite for pasta, can get a little boring after a while. So, I was ready for a break. I tried a fusion recipe with Indian spices. That is Bell Pepper Masala Pasta. This is probably my second fusion recipe..the first one being Spicy Spinach Quinoa.
The best feature about this pasta is that I was able get a creamy texture without any dairy ingredient. All I had to do was to use the right proportion of almond meal and blend it in at the right time. Check out my video for details. Like the name suggests, the tomatoes play only a secondary role to bell peppers. The most important step is to use fresh vegetables and let the sauce simmer for at least 5-7 minutes. I used seashell pasta, but penne variety goes well. If there is more sauce packed in every bite, it makes all the difference in the world.
I am planning on trying several more flavors of fusion recipes with pasta. So, check back for more exciting recipes. As always, keep the comments coming.
- 1 1/2 cup medium sized shell pasta
- 1 Green bell pepper
- 1 Red bell pepper ( capsicum)
- 1 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 inch ginger
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp coriander and cumin powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Boil water in medium size pan and add 1 tsp olive oil and salt as it boils.
- Add the pasta when water begins to boil. After pasta is cooked, drain the water and place it aside.
- Meanwhile prepare the pasta sauce by blending 1 cup chopped onion, tomatoes, ginger, garlic and almond meal together with 1/2 cup water.
- In a hot pan drizzle 1 tsp olive oil and saute ½ cup chopped onions for a minute.
- Add chopped bell pepper (or capsicum) and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Later, add blended pasta sauce and stir well.
- Now, add all the dry spices and mix well. Cover the lid and let it simmer for 6-8 minutes.
- Later add salt and lemon juice and stir well. After about a minute, switch off the heat and add cooked pasta. Mix well to get an even mix of sauce and pasta shells.
Bell Pepper Masala Pasta is ready!