Gulab jamun is a dessert served hot or cold
Desserts just taste better in summertime. Especially if they are creamy enough to melt in your mouth. Gulab jamun is an all time favorite Indian dessert served hot or cold. “Gulab Jamunu” translates to rose flavored berries.
It’s a deep fried delicacy that’s served in a rose flavored sweet syrup. When your sweet tooth kicks in during the summer months, you can just grab a bowl of chilled gulab jamuns with its syrup or drop a dollop of vanilla ice cream on it. You cannot go wrong with a dessert like Gulab Jamun. I have also tried it with Carrot Halwa and it was simply delicious.
Try this recipe today and you will never have to buy the ready-mix at your grocery store. The ready-mix do taste good, but you never know how long it has been on the shelf. They have very limited shelf life and tend to form lumps if they are not fresh. The ingredients are fairly easy to buy at any Indian grocery store. There are two main ways of preparing Gulab Jamuns. One way is to use dry milk powder and other way is with “Khoya” Today, I am posting the procedure using dry milk powder. I am happily sharing this recipe because this was requested by one of my friend!
- 1 cup milk powder
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp semolina
- 2 tsp rose water
- 1/4 cup oil ( for deep fry)
- 2 cups granulated sugar ( for sugar syrup)
- 2 cups water
- 2 grated almonds for garnish
- In a medium vessel, boil 2 cups of water and add the sugar.
- Continue to boil for at least 10 minutes or until the syrup thickens and add 2 tsp rose water. Remove from heat and cover with lid.
- For jamun: in a mixing bowl, add milk powder, all purpose flour (maida), rava (semolina) and mix well. Add about 2 to 3 tbsp of water and knead until the dough is thoroughly smooth with no lumps.
- Prepare small round balls (Jamuns) with the dough and fry them in a pan until they are golden.
- Drop the Jamuns in the vessel with the hot syrup and let it absorb the syrup for at least 30 minutes. The Jamuns get bigger and softer gradually.
Gulab Jamuns are ready. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours, if you prefer them cold. Gulab Jamuns are best served with vanilla ice cream or Carrot Halwa.