One bite of this wonderful dessert will make you an instant fan! Rava laddu or Semolina Coconut balls is one of the common and favorite desert in India. Rava is used in several desserts like Rava kesari or sheera and Rava Payasa. Rava laddu is prepared with just the right mix of rava or semolina (the fine variety), coconut flakes, nuts, sugar, and ghee.
The fragrance from roasted rava and roasted nut is reminiscent of festivals. With prep time of less than 15 minutes and simple ingredients, it is one of the easiest dessert you can make. Better yet, it is a kids favorite. My family prefers raisins or pistachios, but there are several other nuts you can blend in and make it your own special dessert.
Try the rava laddu with a frothy cup of coffee or latte and you will know what I mean 😉
- 1 cup Rava/Semolina
- 1/4 cup grated Coconut
- 3 tbsp Ghee/ clarified butter
- 3/4 cup Organic sugar
- 1 tsp Cardamom powder
- 2 tbsp organic Raisins
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 tbsp nuts (optional)
- Sauté the Rava over medium heat until it turns golden brown (Approximately 10 mins)
- Pour granulated sugar into a blender or food processor. Blend the sugar until it is a fine, fluffy powdered sugar
- Boil the milk and keep it aside.
- Roast each of the following ingredients separately over medium heat and 2 teaspoons of ghee: Grated coconut, Raisins and any nuts of your choice (finely chopped cashews or pistachios)
- Get a big bowl and mix all the dry ingredients: Rava, powdered sugar, cardamom powder, roasted coconut, roasted raisins, and ghee.
- Mix well and use the milk to bind them together. A few tablespoons of milk will be enough. Make 2" round balls.
Rava Laddu is ready! Store it in an air tight canister for shelf life up to a week.