Today my recipe is Dill leaves and Chickpea Rice : I came up with this recipe when I was looking to make something healthy and spicy that includes vegetables and the kids do not find boring. Dill leaves gives a fresh flavor to this dish and makes it very tasty. I recently learnt a lot about the numerous health benefits of dill leaves. I didn’t know that this commonly available leaf had so much nutrients and health benefits packed in it. Some of the many benefits are :Boosts digestion, Reduces insomnia, Enhances bone health, Controls insulin levels, Boosts immune system, Reduces hiccups, Cures diarrhea.
Apart from the above mentioned, it is an excellent source of calcium. Fresh dill is available in most markets during the summer and early fall and expensive. In my native state of Karnataka, India, this leaf is used in several varieties of curries. Dill adds a tangy and appetizing flavor and fragrance to any dish. There is no reason not to include dill in your regular grocery shopping list and make it a common ingredient in your meals. I couldn’t help trying out a recipe with this nature’s wonder leaf in a rice with chick peas. This will be my first recipe using dill I plan to add more recipes with dill variation in the future. I am hoping to tingle your taste buds with this recipe and encourage you to come up with your own dill recipes.
- 1 cup of dill leaves
- 1/2 cup chickpeas
- 2 cup basmati rice
- 1/4 cup chopped coconut pieces
- 2 red chilies ( optional)
- 10-12 black pepper seeds
- 1 tsp cardamom seeds
- 4-5 cloves
- 5-6 small broken and cracked cinnamon sticks
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 cup boiled vegetables ( carrots, beans)
- 1-2 tbsp oil ( olive oil or vegetable oil)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 1 onion
- Wash the rice and cook it with 4-1/2 cups of water and 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder.
- Boil the chickpeas. You can use canned chickpeas instead.
- Chop the vegetables, boil them and keep aside.
- Place a pan over medium heat, add a little oil and sauté the onions(chop the onions length wise) until they turn golden color. Keep it aside.
- Blend the coconut, cinnamon, cloves, black pepper, cardamom, and red chilies together with 1/2 cup of water to make the masala.
- Place a pan over medium heat, drizzle the oil and fry the cumin seeds.
- Add the chopped dill leaves and fry till they are softened and then add the blended masala.
- When it starts to boil add the boiled vegetables.
- Add salt and cover the lid for few minutes.
- Add the cooked chickpeas and cover the lid for few minutes until it is well mixed. Switch off the heat and let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Add the boiled rice and mix well.
- Finally add the fried onions and mix gently.
Here is a short video clip for how to make Dill leaves and chickpea rice recipe: