Cracked wheat sweet pongal !
Nothing complements a perfect meal like a truly delicious dessert. Creamy Cracked Wheat sweet pongal is one of my favorites for dessert choices. After you try this recipe, I am sure it will become one of your favorites. It’s a bold variation of Sweet Pongal, a well known Indian dessert. The variation brings more creaminess as well as nutritional benefits. The original dish is made with rice and jaggery. As the name suggests I used cracked wheat instead of rice. My mother -in law taught me the original version of sweet pongal and I have made it several times. I do not think I can ever match her authentic taste, but the cracked wheat version brings its own signature taste.
Cracked wheat can be found in bulk in most grocery stores in the whole grains section or in the breakfast aisle. Uncooked cracked wheat needs to be stored in a cool, dry area if it is not used right away. I store them in an air tight canister for long shelf life. Apart from sweet pongal, I have tried several other recipes with cracked wheat and they all turned out good. I will be posting all of them in the next few weeks.
For this recipe, I softened the cracked wheat by cooking it with boiled water for 20 minutes. Its my little trick to soften the cracked wheat before adding other ingredients like jaggery.
let’s get started!
- 1 cup Cracked wheat
- 1 cup jaggery
- 3 cup water
- 3 tbsp ghee
- 2 tsp cardamom powder
- 10 - 15 walnuts chopped
- Place a vessel over medium heat and sauté the cracked wheat with one teaspoon of ghee until you get a nice aroma from the wheat or when the wheat turns darker.
- Cook the cracked wheat with 3 cup of water until it gets very soft.
- Add jaggery and ghee and continue to stir well.
- Add the cardamom powder for aroma
- Add the chopped walnuts and continue to stir.
- As the mixture starts to boil, add little more ghee and take it off the heat.
Cracked Wheat Sweet Pongal is ready! It’s best served right after a spicy meal.