Try this recipe the next time when you buy beets! The recipe is beets chutney. Chutney is an Indian side dish and it is usually meant to complement rice, dosa, idli, bonda, vada, upma,etc. It is very easy to prepare and can be made using different vegetables (and sometimes even fruits),lentils and spices.
I decided to start off my chutney recipe series with this fabulous Beet Chutney. Beets are highly nutritious and “heart-friendly” root vegetables. They are inexpensive and are readily available in most grocery stores. Its leaves are also edible and are loaded with nutrients. Here are some of the numerous health benefits of beets: Lowers cholesterol levels, Has anti-aging effects, Is a rich source of minerals such as iron, manganese, copper and magnesium, Moderates the level of sodium.
This is very simple and healthy way of doing beets chutney. For this recipe I peeled the skin and chopped in to cube then boiled it with green chilies. You can also saute the beets instead of boiling. either way Its tastes very good.
The left over chutney can be stored in refrigerator for a minimum of 3 days. Mix this with boiled rice (white or brown) and you get a wonderful lunch option for kids. They will love the bright color and you will love the wholesome nutrition they get. Lets get started.
- 2 large beets, peeled and chopped
- 2 green chilies
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 1½ tbsp. black gram or urad dal
- 2 red chilies
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 strand curry leaves
- Place a vessel over medium heat and boil the beets and green chilies with water.
- Place a separate pan over medium heat and saute the black gram and red chilies using the coconut oil until it turns golden color.
- Blend the cooked beets and green chilies, grated coconut and sautéed spices. Use the boiled water from step 1 for blending.
- Transfer the contents of the blender into a bowl
- Add salt as required to the mixture.
- For seasoning, heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and red chilies. When the mustard seeds being to sputter, add curry leaves.
- Add the seasoning to beet chutney.
The beet chutney is ready to be served with hot rice.