You will not find a dosa recipe with an ingredient list shorter than this! Dosa comes in several varieties as you mix and match the key ingredients and the way you prepare the batter. Today’s dosa recipe is a simple yet healthy one: Neeru Dosa. It’s named after the watery consistency of batter. “Neeru dose” is quite popular in Karnataka, especially Udupi district. Like I said, ingredients are very simple but make a very sumptuous breakfast!
Like most of my recipes, I learned this from my mother. The common recipe for this dosa is with rice and coconut, but my mother makes it with rice and fenugreek/ methi seeds instead. Adding coconut brings extra flavor, but few fenugreek seeds will make the dosa very soft and flavorful.
Neeru dosé and mango rasayana is one of the local favorites in Udupi, India. I am going to try and add a short video clip showing the desired batter consistency and the proper way to make the dosa.
- 2 cups rice soaked overnight ( long grain, idli rice)
- 1 tsp fenugreek soaked with rice
For Onion chutney ingredients :
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 2 tsp split Bengal gram
- 1 onion
- 2 tsp Black gram/ Urad dal
- 2-4 red chili
- Wash the soaked rice and blend it in smooth paste with water. I have included a short video clip to show how it looks.
- Add salt to taste.
- Place a cast iron skillet over medium heat and apply 1/2 tsp of oil. When it’s hot, hold the batter about 2 inches away from skillet and pour the batter like I show in the video clip. The dosa must be thin. So pour it very lightly without layers.
- Cover the lid for few seconds. When it’s cooked remove from the skillet.
Neeru Dosa is ready!
Directions for Onion chutney:
- Place a pan over medium heat and drizzle 2 tbsp of oil.
- Sauté the split Bengal gram. When it turns golden, add black gram and after a few seconds, add red chiles.
- After the chiles are fried, add chopped onions and continue to cook until onions turn transparent.
- Add grated coconut and switch off the heat immediately.
- Blend the mixture with required amount of water to get a chutney consistency.
- Add salt to taste and chutney is ready.
Hot neeru dosa and onion chutney is a dynamic combo!
|Prep time||Cook time||Makes|
|6 Hours||30 Minutes||20-30 Dosas|