Thambuli is a blended mixture of coconut, butter milk (or plain yogurt) and a highlight ingredient. The highlight ingredient defines the thambuli and can be any one of the following: curry leaves, cilantro, onions, ginger, methi seeds, cumin seeds, and many more. You can choose one depending on what your taste buds are craving for today. The recipe is the same for all and I recommend you try all of them one at a time. Thambuli is one of the simplest, healthiest, and a great comfort food. It is unique to the state of Karnataka, India. It is served with hot rice. There are hundreds of variation of thambuli in this state and today I am about to share the curry leaf version of thambuli. Let’s get started.
- 2 strands of curry leaves
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 2 green chilies
- 2 tbsp yogurt
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 or 4 red chilies
- 1 ts oil or ghee
- Wash the curry leaves.
- Blend the grated coconut, and curry leaves along with water in a blender.
- Whisk the yogurt to eliminate any lumps.
- Add the blended paste to yogurt and mix well and add the salt.
- If you prefer add some water to dilute the consistency.
- Place a pan over medium heat and pour the oil or ghee. When hot, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and red chilies.
- When the seasoning starts to sputter add it to the blended mixture.
- The curry leaf thambuli is ready to be served with hot rice.
Try it and let me know how you like it. Share your opinion below by commenting. Happy cooking!
|Prep time||Cook time||Serves|
|5 Minutes||10 Minutes||4 - 6|