Have you heard of a dessert that needs no sugar? Yes, you heard me right…a dessert that needs no sugar! I always look for alternatives to sugar when it comes to desserts. That’s not to say I choose sugar substitutes, because that comes with a bigger list of health problems. So, I look for fruits that offer natural sweetness but also pack some quality nutrients. One of the fruit that qualifies for this is Dates. They are well known for their fiber and vital nutrients.
There are a few local dishes in South India, that feature dates and I am sharing a recipe for one of the most popular one. It’s called Dates Halwa. A “Halwa” can be made with several other fruits as well. Dates Halwa is one of the simplest form of Halwa, given the fact that it needs very less preparation and can be done in less than an hour. Here’s the recipe…
• 1 1/2 cup Dates (Pitted)
• 1/2 cup Milk (optional)
• 2-3 tbsp Ghee (clarified butter)
• Water if required
• Soak the dates for about 10 minutes in the water
• Remove seeds (If you are not using pitted dates)
• Blend the dates with warm milk or add 1/2 cup of water instead of milk. You should look for a paste consistency.
• Cook the paste over medium heat in a nonstick medium pan.
• After 4-5 minutes, add little bit of ghee / clarified butter. Repeat for every 2-3 minutes until the paste starts to thicken. Usually takes about 30 minutes.
• Meanwhile, grease a medium size pan and pour the halwa and let it cool for at least 15 minutes.
• When it is warm enough to handle, cut to your desired shape.
Dates halwa is ready to serve!
|Prep time||Cook time||Makes|
|15Minutes||30-40 Minutes||15-20 pieces|