Vermicelli is a traditional type of pasta. It almost looks like spaghetti but thinner. Packed with carbohydrates, vermicelli offers a lot of delicious options. It’s usually a kids favorite too.
Here’s a simple recipe for making Vermicelli lemon Upma.
• 2 cups roasted vermicelli
• 3 and 1/2 cup water
• 2 green chilies
• 2 tsp minced ginger
• 1 onion
• 4-5 stalks cilantro leaves
• 1 tsp turmeric powder
• 1 tsp of cumin seeds
• 1 tsp of mustard seeds
• 1 tsp of Urad dal
• 2-3 red chilies
• Few curry leaves
• 2 tsp lemon juice
• 2 tbsp of peanuts ( optional)
• 4 tsp oil
• Place a deep bottom pan over medium heat and add 4tsp of oil
• Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, Urad dal, red chilies to it. When the spices start to sputter, add curry leaves, ginger and green chilies. Follow up with chopped onions in a minute.
• When onion turns transparent add turmeric , add 31/2 cup water, add peanuts and add salt cover the lid.
• As the mixture starts to boil, add the roasted vermicelli and continue to mix until vermicelli absorbs all the water. Take the pan off the heat and add the chopped cilantro leaves and lemon juice and mix gently. Serve hot with coffee or your favorite fruits.
In our house kids like to eat Upma with banana. Try this ! Delicious breakfast made simple.