Carrots are widely used in many cuisines. Today I am preparing “Carrot Halwa”, also called as as “Gajar ka Halwa”. This sweet is popular all over India and traditionally eaten during festivals. All across India, there are lot of variations for this recipe. I am going for a nutty flavor with almond paste and pecans. Here’s the recipe…
- 4 to 6 Carrots
- 7 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tsp almond paste
- 1/2 cup fat free milk
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 10 pecan nuts
- 2 tbsp of clarified butter (ghee)
- 2 tbsp sugar (optional)
- Wash the carrots, chop it and blend it coarsely.
- Place the milk over medium heat in a deep bottom pan and add the blended carrots.
- Cook until the carrots are tender and then add the condensed milk. Stir for few minutes.
- Add the almond paste and clarified butter and continue to stir until it boils (add sugar if you prefer it sweeter).
- Add the cardamom powder, mix it well and take the pan off the heat.
- Garnish with roasted pecans.
Serve hot or cold. Try this Carrot Halwa (cold) with Vanilla Ice Cream.
HAPPY MAKARA SANKRANTHI TO ALL!